Please begin by clicking the button below.
OATS is a web-based application to facilitate reporting and disclosure of outside professional activities. The University of California allows Compensation Plan participants to engage in outside activities but issues such as the time threshold, earnings threshold, conflict of interest, and conflict of commitment must be considered. The earnings threshold refers to receipt of cash, stock, and stock options.
- Faculty members must disclose all outside professional activities in OATS as well as address potential conflicts of interest or intellectual property issues with the appropriate offices.
- Conflict of commitment: The time dedicated to and earnings (cash, stock, stock options) from Category I and II outside professional activities must be disclosed in OATS every year. Category I activities and requests to exceed the earnings and/or time thresholds require pre-approval.
- Conflict of interest: Conflicts of interest are not managed through OATS. Contact the Conflict of Interest Advisory Committee (COIAC) to discuss conflicts of interest related to outside professional activities.
- Intellectual property: Questions about intellectual property as a function of outside professional activities must be discussed with the Office of Technology Management.
- Currently, these reporting systems are not integrated. You may be required to report to the COAIC and/or OTM if you have activities that create a conflict of interest or may involve intellectual property. If you are uncertain of the requirements, contact these offices for clarification of disclosure requirements.
- APM-670, UC Health Sciences Compensation Plan
- APM-671, Conflict of Commitment and Outside Activities of Health Sciences Compensation Plan Participants
- APM-025, UC University Policy Regarding Academic Appointees
- APM-240, UC Appointment and Promotion, Deans
- APM-246, UC Appointment and Promotion, Faculty Administrators